Wednesday, March 10, 2010

When cliches aren't just cliches





Every Wednesday, I have tea with the ladies that volunteer in Kabokweni to feed & care for the children in the community. This past Wednesday, we all shared something we were grateful for. As we went around the room, it was so wonderful to hear everyone's heart. When we got to Lucinda, I just wanted to cry tears of joy.

Last year, TTH built a home for Lucinda & her two teen girls. They had been living in a shack that was very unsafe. Lucinda was very ill & not expected to make it. There were many days during construction that she could not come out of her shack to talk to us. But, over the last few months, Lucinda has not only improved, she has started volunteering at the care center to help the children there. She still has some rough days, but when able, she works in the garden or helping prepare food for the feedings.

Yesterday as we were sharing, she said the one thing she was most grateful for was that she was alive. How many times have we been asked what we are grateful for & our pat answer is, "Well, I guess I'm just grateful to be alive"? It really struck me when she said that, how much we take things for granted. Like being alive to see our kids grow up. Or to be able to have a roof over our heads or doors that lock to keep our girls safe.

Cliches really do have merit sometimes!

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Great post Carla...oh and my mom told me to tell you she really enjoys your blog.

John, Carla & Rae Shaw said...

Thanks Lindsey!

And thank your mom for me too!